It seems like everywhere you look there is a new health trend that will supposedly help you lose weight, have more energy, or feel better overall. However, there are many simple things that we can do in our daily lives that will help us stay strong and healthy. Combining things like physical activity, healthy food choices, stress management, proper sleep and even maintaining positive friendships, can help us stay healthy and live our best life.
1. Physical Activity: Physical activity has many health benefits, both physical and mental. In fact, exercise can even help add years to your lifespan. The Mayo Clinic recommends that you get 150-minutes of moderate, or 75-minutes of strenuous exercise per week. Physical exercise can help promote better sleep, increase energy and improve your mood – which you have to admit, sound like really great trade-offs for taking a few minutes to get physical activity each day.
2. Food Choices – A balanced diet has many positive impacts on your health. Like with exercise, our food choices impact many other aspects of our health, not just maintaining a healthy weight. There are the more common food groups that we know are essential, like whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and dairy, but there are also some unique foods that have been shown to help our overall health. For instance, a study by the British Medical Journal showed that eating spicy foods could help increase your lifespan.
3. Stress Reduction – Stress can take a significant toll on your health, both physically and mentally. Having a routine for stress management can help reduce stress and benefit your overall health. Methods include meditation, calming exercise like yoga, or even just taking the time each day to do something you enjoy like listening to your favorite music or reading a good book.
4. Socialization and Friendships – Maintaining healthy friendships can also have a positive impact on your health. Positive relationships and regular socialization are shown to reduce depression, anxiety, and stress. So, I recommend taking time each week to spend quality time with some of your favorite people. Not only will you get to enjoy the time with your friends, but you are also boosting your health at the same time.
5. Proper Sleep – Sometimes getting more sleep is not feasible but making sure the sleep that you do get is quality sleep can make all the difference in your health. Some tips for getting a more restful sleep include:
- Make a to-do list before bed that outlines what you need to get done the next day; this will help calm your thoughts and allow for more restful sleep.
- Avoid caffeine close to bedtime.
- Ensure your bedroom is dark, quiet and at a proper temperature. Even a small amount of light or minimal noises can disrupt sleep.
- Avoid eating or watching television in bed.
- Limit what you drink close to bedtime to cut down on the middle of the night bathroom trips that disrupt your sleep.
Taking care of yourself doesn’t have to be complicated, and incorporating these strategies into your day-to-day life is not only good for your physical health but can also increase your lifespan and boost your mental health as well.